Teaching Tip: Do you want to add online videos to your PowerPoint presentations? There are different ways to achieve this, but the following process is simple and effective. This technique requires an Internet connection in your classroom.
- Start by copying an image from the Internet (see other Teaching Tip in this newsletter). I often get the logo of the company in the video. You can also insert a PowerPoint shape.
- Then go to the website where the video you want to show is located. Double click on the web address so that the whole address is highlighted. Choose the “Ctrl” and “C” keys to copy the address.
- Go back to your PowerPoint and right click on the image. Choose the “Hyperlink” option.
- In the window that opens, click on the blank next to “Address:” and use “Ctrl V” to paste the address in.
- From Slide Show mode, you simply click on the image and the web page will open up (this might take a few seconds).
- You can then control the web page – perhaps choosing to show the video clip full screen if this is an option at the website.
- Warning: be sure to test this in your office – and on the computer you are using in class. You want to make sure that sound is working and the site loads properly.